The Administration Division is staffed by the Deputy Chief, two Lieutenants, one Sergeant and two officers along with one administrative assistant. Additionally, there are civilian employees that work in the Communications Unit and Emergency Medical Services Bureau. The Deputy Chief is directly responsible for preparing and overseeing the Police Department’s O&E and Capital budgets. The division is comprised of nine separate units and bureaus.
Deputy Chief Steven Gerling #148
- Deputy Chief Steven Gerling was hired by the Brick Township Police Department in January of 1995. He graduated from the Ocean County Police Academy Class #64 in May of 1995. He is also a graduate of the Richard Stockton College.
- He worked his first twelve years as a patrol officer and a Field Training Officer. During this time, Captain Gerling was assigned to the K9 Unit where he served as a K9 Handler and worked with his K9 partner Cody.
- In March 2006 he was promoted to the rank of Sergeant where he was assigned to the Evening Shift and later the Day Shift as a Squad Supervisor and the K9 Unit Supervisor.
- In January of 2014 he was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant where he was assigned to the Operations Division as the Evening Shift Commander.
- In January of 2016 he was transferred to the Administrative Services Division, where he served as the Professional Standards Unit Commander.
- In February 2017 he was transferred to the Operations Division, where he served as the A Side Evening/Midnight Shift Commander.
- In February 2018 he remained assigned to the Operations Division and became the Shift Commander for the A Side of the patrol schedule.
- In December 2018 he was promoted to the rank of Captain where he currently serves as the Operations Division Commander.
The Records Bureau is primarily responsible for the filing and maintenance of all reports and documents generated by the Police Department as governed by the New Jersey Division of Archives and Records Management. The Bureau is also responsible for the dissemination of those reports to the public in accordance with the Open Public Records Act (OPRA), disseminating police reports and all related relevant information such as officer qualifications to the prosecuting authority whether it is a State, County or Municipal entity as well as providing discovery in accordance with the court rules governing discovery. Additionally, the Police Records Bureau compiles the data and generates and disseminates the required monthly, quarterly and annual reports such as Uniform Crime Reports (UCR), Stationhouse Adjustments and NCIC validations. The Police Records Bureau is open to the public Monday thru Friday from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm.
The Communications Center function is to receive incoming calls for service and dispatch the appropriate units to the call for service (i.e., Police, Fire, and EMS). The center is staffed with twenty full time and five part time Telecommunication Operators and one Telecommunications Supervisor. The Telecommunications Operators perform several important tasks including the handling of 9-1-1 and non-emergency calls for service, the dispatching and monitoring of Police, Fire and Emergency Medical Services (EMS) within the Township of Brick.
All Telecommunications Operators are certified by the State of New Jersey as Emergency Medical Dispatchers and Basic Communications Operators as well as receiving continuous training in domestic violence call handling, crisis and hostage negotiations, tactical communications, and advance public safety dispatching in addition to being proficient in local, state and national databases. In addition, several of our Telecommunications Operators have been trained as Tactical Dispatchers.
The Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Bureau is staffed by a Director of EMS, Deputy Director of EMS, and two civilian Supervisors, twenty-four full time and twenty-seven part time Medical Technicians that provide emergency medical services that include: Basic Life Support, Transport, Technical Rescue, Water Rescue, Extraction and Rescue services to the visitors and residents of the Township of Brick and surrounding communities that require their services. In addition they serve as a participating agency of the New Jersey EMS Task Force.
The Brick Township Police Emergency Medical Services is committed to providing the highest quality of pre-hospital care to the community we serve. This is accomplished by providing exceptional customer care, community outreach, public education, and the best possible patient outcome through the ever-changing nature of healthcare.
Teamwork – We encourage active collaboration to solve problems, avoid conflict, make decisions, and achieve common goals.
Professionalism – We accept the challenge and responsibility to maintain the highest standards of excellence in EMS. We continually strive to determine and meet the needs of the community.
Compassion – We support the individualized caring and comforting offered as healthcare providers.
Clinical Excellence – We strive for the highest standards of care through continued education and training of our personnel.
Child Seat Inspections
The Brick Police EMS has nationally certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians (CPST) available to provide knowledge and education to parents and expecting parents of the proper installation and usage of car seats. For more information check our Facebook page for monthly child seat inspection or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Operations Division
The Special Operations Division is made up of members who received specialized training in technical rescue, water rescue, tactical ems, and large scale disaster and event planning. Members train regularly to prepare for a variety of situations and events. In addition they maintain a Mass Care Response Unit (MCRU) and Alternative Support Apparatus (ASAP) in partnership with the NJ EMS Task Force.
Brick Township Police EMS
401 Chambers Bridge Rd
Brick, NJ 08723
Director of EMS – Michael Botts: 732-451-2038 Option #4
Deputy Director of EMS – Tim Cranmer: 732-451-2038 Option #3
EMS Supervisors – Anthony Botts and Dorothy DePiano: 732-451-2038 Option #5
Car Seat Inspections: 732-451-2038 Option #6