The Administration Division is staffed with one Administrative Assistant, the Deputy Chief, three Lieutenants, two Sergeant, five Officers and 12 Civilians. The division is comprised of nine separate units and bureaus.
Division Commander Deputy Chief Donald Ling
- Captain Donald Ling started his law enforcement career as a Class II Special Officer with the Seaside Heights Police Department in June of 1992.
- He was hired as a full time officer with the Island Heights Police Department in 1993.
- In January of 1995 he began his career with the Brick Township Police Department.
- 1995 – 1996 he was assigned to the evening shift as a patrol officer. He also served as a Field Training Officer during that time.
- 1996 – 2002 he was assigned to the Traffic Safety Unit.
- 2002 he was promoted to the rank of Sergeant. He was a squad supervisor on the evening shift.
- 2005 – 2011 he was reassigned to the Traffic Safety Unit as the unit’s supervisor.
- 2011 he was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant and assigned to the Internal Affairs Unit.
- 2013 he was assigned to the Operations Division as the Deputy Operations Division Commander.
- 2015 he was promoted to the rank of Captain. He is currently the Operations Division Commander.
The Records Bureau is primarily responsible for the filing and maintenance of all reports and documents generated by the Police Department as governed by the New Jersey Division of Archives and Records Management. The Bureau is also responsible for the dissemination of those reports to the public in accordance with the Open Public Records Act (OPRA), disseminating police reports and all related relevant information such as officer qualifications to the prosecuting authority whether it is a State, County or Municipal entity as well as providing discovery in accordance with the court rules governing discovery. Additionally, the Police Records Bureau compiles the data and generates and disseminates the required monthly, quarterly and annual reports such as Uniform Crime Reports (UCR), Stationhouse Adjustments and NCIC validations. The Police Records Bureau is open to the public Monday thru Friday from 8:45 am to 3:45 pm.
The Communications Center function is to receive incoming calls for service and dispatch the appropriate units to the call for service (i.e., Police, Fire, and EMS). The center is staffed with twenty full time and five part time Telecommunication Operators and one Telecommunications Supervisor. The Telecommunications Operators perform several important tasks including the handling of 9-1-1 and non-emergency calls for service, the dispatching and monitoring of Police, Fire and Emergency Medical Services (EMS) within the Township of Brick.
All Telecommunications Operators are certified by the State of New Jersey as Emergency Medical Dispatchers and Basic Communications Operators as well as receiving continuous training in domestic violence call handling, crisis and hostage negotiations, tactical communications, and advance public safety dispatching in addition to being proficient in local, state and national databases. In addition, several of our Telecommunications Operators have been trained as Tactical Dispatchers.
The Internal Affairs Unit is staffed by personnel of the department as assigned by the Chief of Police. The Internal Affairs Officer will report to the Administrative Division Commander but shall be directly responsible to the Chief of Police. The Internal Affairs Officer is responsible for receiving, processing and supervising internal affairs investigations that involve allegations of criminal conduct and acts of misconduct made against members of the Brick Township Police Department. The Internal Affairs Officer ensures that allegations made against members of the Brick Township Police Department are thoroughly and objectively investigated to their logical conclusion. The Office of Internal Affairs maintains a comprehensive index of all complaints received against all members. This information is submitted to the Ocean County Prosecutors Office on an annual basis. Click here for reporting information.